Sunday, June 15, 2008

Sprudelbad





I have a new favorite word..."sprudelbad"....(sproo-dell-bahd)...now say it fast! I learned it this weekend on my little jaunt over to Willengen with some other army wives and we had a great time but we did not have a "sprudelbad". Here s my unsolicited opinion of European hotels...they are NOT like the quaint Bed and Breakfasts you see carefully edited and placed on Saturday afternoon "Travel Channel" or "PBS" and certainly not the ones on a show I haven't seen in 3 years, "Great Hotels". In fact, most of the European hotels I have seen were born out of a flash of greatness in the 1970's. Whew...some of them are really...hmmm...how do I say it..."bom-chick-a-wow-wow". You know...70's...

My hotel this weekend was one of those. It was sprawling and interesting and lots of 20 something drunk guys were staying there...not bad for entertainment but scary for swimming pools, dinner and elevators. The elevators are small and the personalities of these guys were very big after sunshine and beer. Yes, the elevators were fun indeed. These young guys needed a "sprudelbad".

The hotel had a small spa. We found out that it was "against the rules" the wear any clothing at all...so to spare my German friends...and to keep relations good...I opted not to visit the spa. But, I did grab a flyer. I feel like a little girl at a Southern Rest Stop....take a little tinkle and then grab as many pamphlets as you can before your momma pulls you back into the station wagon! PAMPHLET!!! WOO HOO!! So, I grabbed one. It was mostly in German but they had some English thrown in there to entice you into the spa...and there it was. SPRUDELBAD. A bubble bath.....ahhhh! What kind of a sprudelbad could even be worth 15 EURO???
I really wanted to know but I wasn't about to strip off and find out. I just wanted to share with you that it is a great German word...right in front of "selbsflucken"....selbs-flooken...self picking.

Now excuse me...I am going to run a sprudelbad!

**The pictures are of the town we tootled around and the sommerroddelbahn (a self driven summer bobsled). In the video Jack is driving while I am filming and, yes, that's me screaming "NOT TOO FAST!" at the end. You control the speed at which you toss your momma out onto the track! Jack was going for it...

No comments: