Tuesday, December 1, 2009

My Kentucky


You just can't get enough..."Hey, look...I'm hanging out the van window to take pictures!" photos!


After a journey to Kentucky for Thanksgiving...I wanted to give you a glimpse into a place in my heart that always has a cozy lamp burning, a fire in a brick fireplace, a big fluffy couch, soft blankets, warm drinks and music playing.  This is truly my happy place...the place I concentrated on when I was in labor with all 4 of my babies...the place I longed for any time I was away from it and the place that I pray, never leaves my memory - no matter how old or crazy I get.  My Kentucky...where I was born, raised and married.  It is never far from my accent - or my heart.  Enjoy...


Calumet farm from the air.  This is a view that could easily be labeled..."You know you are in Kentucky when...".  Thoroughbred race horses are as common here as "good ole boys" and sweet tea.



For as long as I can remember my Daddy has always put up a foddershock.  I can just see him out there with things flying everywhere...and him setting the hay and pumpkins around.



Kent has lived beside us my entire life...and he still lives in his "childhood home"...his parents moved to another house in town.  He is our resident funny guy...and he is personally responsible for the pictures that follow....he is in big trouble and will need to set up a trust fund to pay for the cavities that will be the result of the "rocket gumball machine" that he lovlingly placed outside the day after we arrived.  Gumballs were EVERYWHERE!  Bad bad Kent...






so sad....really....



I can't explain Ale-8...it's a Kentucky thing...and if you can get one in a bottle with ice floating in it (like this one)...well...you have died and gone to heaven, my friend.  Better yet...I got THIS one at Berryman's - another "Mt. Sterling original".



This little guy was waiting for us in Kentucky!!  Can you just eat him up?  He is the first child for my sister, Elizabeth and I think I need to buy the house next to her and babysit him...and take pictures of him and teach him to say wonderful things like, "Aunt Christy...I love you more than Ale-8!"  My heart is gone!



Sweet Caroline...this little turkey has me wrapped around her finger!  Everything that comes out of her mouth makes me smile, laugh outloud, want to blog or grab her and hug her against her will!




Clay...otherwise known as "Clayzie"...and the best hugger in the entire world!  I also discovered over Thanksgiving that Clay and Jack are forbidden to go to colege together because they are complete wackos together!  They are like gremlins...their personalities multiplied when they are together.  Absolutely nerve wracking hysterical!



Group shot!  We take a version of this picture evey year! 
Momma, Daddy, all 3 girls and all 7 grandbabies!


The following photographs are from "The Farm"....
They make my heart sigh...





































Kentucky...you make me happy...

4 comments:

Jennifer said...

My cousin had purchased my Grandparents home. He tore down the old barns and built a modern shop. I suppose it needed to be done, but my how it made me sad to see it this summer.

Just Katherine--Patron Saint of Hot Messes said...

With everything that goes with it, "There's no place like home."

Unknown said...

you made me laugh and you made my heart sad for you & the kids. i miss you all...period.


mere

Tracy said...

I have some fond memories of being at the farm and all of us girls getting "lost" in the woods! Don't you love to come home? We had the best neighborhood! Even now in my dreams, when I dream I'm at "home", it's always Westside Drive!