Wednesday, January 6, 2010

A letter about a Letter


I want to share something special with you....and it's personal.  So, again, if mushy "ain't" your thing...I'll try and post another "blue haired Barbie" again very soon.  But....if you are in the mood for a teeny tear up - maybe even a heart-sigh...read the letter that I wrote this morning to Balfour International.  Yes...even military kids on oversees posts love rings and jackets and all other yummy American inventions.

**Go on...grab a tissue...**



Dear Karen, 

      I am writing to you about my sweet son, Andrew and his letterman jacket from Mannheim High School in Mannheim, Germany.

2 years ago, Andrew was a very chubby, very unhappy little guy.  He truly could not find joy.  However, after his Dad came home for R&R (during a 15 month Iraq deployment) and after they ran together some during the R&R...Andrew decided to run Cross Country as "exhibition" to try and find some inner peace.  That year - last year  - Andrew was last in every race he ran.  Dead last....15 minutes behind the "last" guy out there.  But, people were so encouraging...they clapped and cried and trained him.  Andrew was slowly becoming a young gentleman and becoming stronger both physically and mentally.

He started High School in August here in Mannheim.  He lost 45 pounds and became an amazing runner and testimony to everyone around him - including his family.  I saw a transformation in that young boy like no other.  In October he earned a Varsity letter in Cross Country and ordered his first letterman jacket.  He asked me EVERYday to go and check to see if it was here and 2 days ago it FINALLY came!!  When he walked in the door for lunch - I held it up and he grinned from ear to ear.  He looked at every square inch of it and just welled up with pride!  I was in tears.  His Dad is deployed again...and that night we were going to sew on his Cross Country letter and take pictures for his Dad and other family who aren't with us.

About 1 hour later, someone stole his jacket.  I cannot tell you how awful it felt to get that phone call.  I was teaching a bible study at the time and I just stood there and listened to Andrew tell how he had placed down to run on a treadmill at the "on post" gym...and someone simply took it from under his backpack.  My first inclination was anger.  Why would someone do that?  Why, when they hadn't earned it - take HIS jacket?  WHY?  And then...I just stopped when Andrew said, "Mom, I forgive that guy.  I don't know why he took my jacket...but now he has to live with it.  He has to LOOK at it and know that he stole it and I don't.  I forgive him because Christ has forgiven me for things I have done wrong.  He is worth as much to God as I am."

Yes...that is the boy that lives under my protection.  The boy who ran off not only his weight - but the weight of his father always being deployed - the weight of girls not giving him a second glance - the weight of being the chubby kid with a great sense of humor - he is not only a straight A student and a cross country letterman - he is a Child of God and he knows it.  What an amazing testimony he continues to be.

I am writing not because I need an huge favor - but I would like to know if there is ANY way I can replace his jacket quicker than 12 weeks.  You see, we are supposed to be moving within that timeframe and I would like for him to have it before we go.  I realize that he will probably order a 2nd and maybe even a 3rd jacket from different schools before he graduates but  that Mannheim jacket represents so much more that just a jacket.  It represents his change and his determination and his forgiveness.  He said it was "okay" not to order another one - but I would love to be able to present him with a new one.  


Please let me know if there is anyway you can help us.

Sincerely,
Christy Harris
proud Momma to Andrew Harris
 

2 comments:

Just Katherine--Patron Saint of Hot Messes said...

Yep tears galore! Please let me know what happens!

Nancy Hood said...

Oh Girl, I'd send you a free jacket for that. Sending this with a prayer in thanks to you for giving me this smile I wear now :) and for the love you have for your son. May God continue to richly bless you. Your Andrew is testimony that you and your husband walk the walk :)