For 5 years I walked my children to school. It was a beautifully choreographed little dance of kids and moms and talking and mumbling...all the way to our little schools. Mommas would catch up on who was doing what and who needed a meal...when, where and "what could we do" as hubbies and wives deployed off to parts unknown - it was the morning update like no other. There were times I hated marching 1/4 mile to and from school in the cold and snow....or heat that made my newly dried hair frizz up like "Rosanna Rosanna Danna"...but for the most part, I missed these early morning and early afternoon editions of "The Grant Circle Times".
Actual photo of me after walking to school in Germany. I'm giving a thumbs up to the photographer because I realize how very gorgeous I am!
As we grew closer to moving from Germany the kids said, "Can we ride the bus when we move????" and I said, "We'll see....". Secretly, I just wanted to drive them and pep talk them and review the morning with them...the bus would take all of that away.
1 month before school started in a new place...."CAN WE RIDE THE BUS????"
Me: "We'll see..." Don't these kids ever give up the dream????
1 week before school started, "MOM, seriously...we want to ride the bus. You ARE going to let us...right????
Me: "What's with you guys?
"We just want to ride the bus!!!"
Me: "Fine...I bet you'll hate it."
"Okay...if we do...you can take us."
I knew in my heart that this brief taste of freedom everyday was going to be delicious. Simply yummy and addicting....I was never going to drive my babies to school again. What a kick in the pants!
SO EXCITED to ride that darn bus!
Em is really terrified to leave me standing on the corner all alone after she boards the big yellow bus...look how sad and concerned she looks...
My kids bolted toward the bus in pure exhilaration...I was left sniffing on the sidewalk like a big baby...
I'm going to pretend like this is a picture of my kids waving a crying...and then I rode a pink unicorn back home...in my fairy princess clothes...I live in my own little world apparently!
And so, every morning my kids run out....grab the neighbors and stand on the corner like ants lined up for watermelon and I wave at them from the front porch. They love the bus and the bus loves them. And every afternoon the big yellow transporter lets them off at the same time each day....and I receive them home as if they were on leave from the Peace Corps. "HEY!!! I missed you!!! How was your day???? How was the bus????"...yadda yadda yadda
But this week was different...
On Thursday they were late....
Really late...
And then they were 15 minutes late and the "Mommies" all started to say, "What's going on here?".
And we waited....
Then the school called, "Um, hello, Mrs. Harris?"
"Yes?"
"Yes, I am calling because Jack and Emily's bus has been in an accident and we
don't THINK anyone has been seriously hurt...."
"Okay...what DO you know about the kids who HAVE been hurt?"
"Well, we aren't sure. I think there are cuts and probably bruises....mainly
cuts."
" Oh, gosh! Well, what happens next?"
"Well, we have to wait for the ambulances to check the kids out and after that
we will bring them home."
(Silence) "Ambulances?" " Can I come get them at the accident?"
"No, Ma'am...we are asking that parents stay home and let the kids be checked
out."
tick tock tick tock tick tock tick tock tick tock tick tock tick tock tick tock tick tock tick tock tick tock tick...
At 5:00pm.....2 hours after they wee supposed to be home, the school called again and asked if I could please come down to the school. I felt sick. Who was hurt? Who wasn't? Oh, my gosh...I forgot to pick Andrew up from Track practice?!!!! Did he forget his phone? He did, dang it! Is he going to be worried because I am not there and he's alone in the cold and dark outside the school? I REALLY MISS MY ARMY FAMILY RIGHT NOW! crap crap crap....
RIIIIINNNNGGGGG....."Hello?
"Hey, honey! What's up?" (by the way...my husband NEVER calls me in the
afternoon...) "Who's picking Andrew up today"
"Well, I don't know. Jack and Emily have been in an accident and I forgot to
get Andrew and he forgot his phone and I don't know what to do...."
"WHAT? What kind of an accident? I'll go get Andrew....is anyone hurt?
Where are YOU right now?"
Crisis #2 averted....Andrew is now going to be picked up but Crisis #1 is still looming...the bus crash..
I called my Momma on the way to the school (yes, illegal in Maryland) and asked her to pray. I had no idea what to expect....please, Lord, don't let there be grief counselors there....
I walked in and my babies are............drinking juice boxes and watching "Arthur". Period. One band aid.....very chatty.....lots of words like ladders, glass, ambulances, police, and Jack said, "I'm starving!".
Thank you, Jesus! Emily only had a band aid on her finger...Jack was all jazzed up and crazed by the excitement, Andrew was safely in John's car, and Catherine was home...just chilling out. All was well with the world.
On Friday morning I said, "Guys, I'll drive you to school today and come pick you up!" and they said, "WHAT?????? NO!!!! We love the bus!!! We won't die!! Please let us ride the bus!"
Who are these people???
They are most definitely just being the kids we are raising because if there is one thing John and I do NOT allow...kids who refuse to "get back on the horse that bucked you".
"Dust yerself off little cowboy...straighten up yer chaps and hike your leg over that saddle! We're goin' back out fer a little ride!"
Well....I wasn't sure they ever listened to me...but I suppose they did. Getting back on the horse is something we have always forced on our children and now they were fine for a little round of "school bus equestrian games" on a sunny Friday morning. Who can argue with that?
Me...once I saw the picture from the paper that was waiting for me in the mailbox...
Is it too late to tell my babies to be big wimps and never leave home again?
Lord, please protect my kids...
and please tell big trucks with ladders loosely attached to the top to stop following MY child's bus too close, too fast and too carelessly. AMEN.




1 comment:
Oh Christy!!! Thank God they are all OK!! What brave and independent kiddos!
Post a Comment