Tuesday, August 12, 2008

Your Eating Hand

Sunday in church the scripture was all about worry....you know the one. Why worry about tomorrow because today has enough worry of it's own!? I like that one because I am a "worry wart". It drives me nuts and I try not to worry but I am always on my knees asking God to take away whatever is keeping me up at night. AND...in my own defense I feel like I worry about worthy things like
1) John being safe
2) Where our family will be relocated to next?
3) Will I be a good teacher as I home school Catherine this year?
4) When will I get to see my family again?

These are worthy...yes???

This brings me to a bike ride that I was on with Catherine, Emily and Jack yesterday. Andrew was running because he is training for the Cross Country team....the rest of us were cheering him on from our bicycles. We are lazily pedaling through "Kafertal Wald" and it was cool and dreamy. Birds were chirping...rocks were crunching beneath our bike tires...the woods smelled cool and mossy...Andrew was pacing his breath and I am just loving life. About half way through the ride Jack asks me a special...obviously thought out question. He asked me if I "wuh-wee" about anything. I said, "yes...sometimes I worry...Do you worry?" He said, "I worry my eating hand is going to fall off."

SCREEEEEEEEECH.......crunch.......thud into a tree....."What???" Jack...still pedaling and smiling....he waves his right hand at me and says, "Yeh....my eating hand....this hand....I wuh-wee it will fall off!" "Jack....what is your other hand called?" "Mom!! My NOT eating hand." (Moms are SO out of touch!!) "Jack, why do your worry about that?" "Because, how will I eat if it falls off? People will have to help me eat. You can't use this hand (he waves the left one at me)." ....and he continues....."I guess you could just put it on the table or the floor and I will eat like a pig."

And he snorts and cracks himself up for the next 2 or 3 minutes. I am just cracked up myself....I thought, "This is priceless....his "eating hand"....Thank you, Lord for little nuggets of "Hoot and Holler"!!!!" I can tell you a billion reasons why having children is awesome....but I might forget to tell you stuff like this. However...if you ask me and I forget...remind me about the "eating hand" because this little laugh and a ga-gillion others is what reassures me that God has a sense of humor. He made Jack and his eating hand didn't he??


Thought of the day, "Love your eating hand!"

No comments: