Friday, February 19, 2010

That's A Wrap!

I have declared war on school lunches!  I suppose it's because when I was little...my lunch lady, Nellie, lived next door.  And for all 350 children at my Elementary School, Nellie made home cooked meals!  She would have "Sally Lunn" bread rising in the mornings to go with our spaghetti - no kidding! And she made fresh cookies for us...we were so spoiled.  I never ever understood the "school lunch" jokes.


Many years have passed and my children have now been in school for about 10 years.  With each school - the lunches SEEM to get worse and worse and worse - more and more shocking.  I'll stop there.  I am sure the lunch ladies are doing the best they can with what they have been given..enough said.


Catherine's lunches are particularly questionable and I have started taking her lunch over to her everyday at 12:30.  It's extreme, I know, but we live super close to the school and she needs for me to check up on her at lunch...ask about grades, friends, give her a hug, remind her to take reading comprehension tests - it's temporary and, besides, who DOESN'T need a hug mid-day hug?


So...I want to show you what I made her today.  Enjoy...and please try not to drool on your computer.  It isn't good for the motherboard...(I have no idea what a motherboard is....but drool can't be good for it!).


Low-fat, high protein whole grain tortilla...believe it or not - it is yummy!
AND...1 tablespoon of chive and  onion cream cheese.



Howdy flavorful cream cheese!  Not too much...it's full fat!



Baby spinach....so much cuter than adult spinach.



Rinsed, not peeled carrots sliced long and thin...it's just so PRETTY!



This just screams delicious!



Add some cucumber...sliced crazy long and thin.  If you use an 
English cucumber - no need to even peel!  Can you just SEE the vitamins
adding up and making my girl stronger and healthier?



My vegetarian or non-meat eatin' friends - wrap this up and eat it.  
I'm telling you,  my mouth is watering.
Lots of flavor, crunch and eye-appeal!



Place a thin layer of turkey or ham on top and get to the edges.
Side note:  This was too much ham but I didn't know it until I bit into it.
I suggest about half this much.  This is 8 very thin slices...4 will do just fine.



It's like sushi...but it's not!

Try a little wrap tomorrow for your lunch and see how many incredible vegetables you can layer in there!  
One healthy habit leads to other healthy habits - and to those icky school lunches I say, 
"That's a WRAP!"


4 comments:

Jamie Mori said...

Looks delicious. Although I homeschool my son now, the couple of years he did attend school I always packed his lunch. So much better for him.

Just Katherine--Patron Saint of Hot Messes said...

Only packed lunches in our house! Expensive and grouse--

Nikki DaShiell said...

Okay, you are making my mouth water. Looks great!

Tracy Hargis Hays said...

We were so spoiled by Nellie, weren't we? The wrap looks amazing! I would love it -- my boys, not so much. We're working on healthier eating, though, slowly but surely!