It's the unknown that creeps in constantly and crowds out any excitement.
However, I push right back and say, "Ummmm...excuse me! The United States of America is the only reason I am here in Germany....I'm going back....happy....proud and ready to re-root!!!" Well,I may not really say those words - but if I HAD to...I could....
SO...the "good-byes" have begun! John and I LOVE to go to a castle and have dinner for our date nights and last night was.....well.......the LAST night. I absolutely adore the drive up there and the view once we are seated. Last night we watched a storm roll right towards us...so we ran inside and enjoyed our goodies in there.
Please....come with me and help me say "Auf Wiedersehen" to Strahlenburg Castle....overlooking the sweet city of Shriesheim.
Driving through Shriesheim...
The atmosphere in the outside garden...
And...the view inside the tiny "window view" dining room...
A thunderstorm came rolling in and we could actually SEE the sheet of rain!!
That's my date and sweet hubby...he was laughing at me because I was taking pictures constantly. I wasn't a very attentive date until....
THE MEAL!
White Asparagus (called "spargel" in Germany) cream soup...It tastes like potato soup - with the perfect little mild crunch every once-in-a-while. Gosh...makes my mouth water just writing about it!
Rumpsteak vom Grill mit Krauterbutter dazu gebackene Ofenkartoffel mit Sauerrahm
Our favorite! Rumpsteak served hot with herbed butter, baked potatoes and sour cream
They don't have bit Idaho russett potatoes here....in fact, the baked potato is not as common to restaurants as they are in the States. So...sometimes when we come here....we get 2 potatoes...but tonight...we got THREE! I have to say, though, after 2 and that giant steak - I had to be rolled away...
Oh - but look what we ordered next - we obviously are like cows and have LOTS of stomachs and feel the need to keep eating until all of them are full!
We have serious issues! This is fresh apple streudel with fruit, ice cream and whipped cream - and chocolate drizzle. Honestly, this is the only German restaurant I've seen that serves it this way.
German coffee...I will miss thee.
Strong, hot and it would take a quart of milk to cut this stuff down - so I don't...and I'm quite sure it has lowed my voice and made me stronger....not TOTALLY sure but QUITE sure...
And....as we were walking back to the car...
You can't hear it... but my heart is sighing...
Behind those lit windows is the kitchen staff and when you walk beside it...you can hear them laughing and talking and clanking dishes. When I took this picture I said, "Are you going to miss me?"...and they just kept talking and laughing and clanking. Perfect...
Auf Wiedersehen Strahlenburg!
We will miss you so much...





2 comments:
Oh Christy, I so felt your heart pangs as I read this post. I would love to live in the pictures you just shared with me for I have seen them in my dreams :) I am so thankful you were able to live where you have, to collect the heart memories of said homes, and that your children are blessed with parents that know there is a much bigger world out there than the town you are born within :) I truly enjoyed coming here today!
I've been checking to see if you are settled from the move and blogging again. I see that your side bar says you are in Maryland. Looking forward to reading more from you soon.
Post a Comment